Elder Law & Medicaid Services
Elder law attorneys provide a very important service to seniors. Elder law attorneys help people who are aging to protect and preserve their autonomy, their dignity, and their quality of life. While the field of elder law is primarily focused on seniors because aging increases the risk of incapacity or illness, the fact is that everyone needs to take steps to ensure they can maintain their dignity and protect what is important to them in an uncertain future.
A Dallas, TX elder law attorney at Vermillion Law Firm, LLC has the tools, knowledge, and experience to help you to address the issues that can affect your financial security and your ability to maintain the quality of life that you deserve. Whether you are a senior who is concerned about the risks of aging or a young person starting a family who wants to protect your loved ones, we are here to help. Give us a call to find out how we can offer personalized advice in your situation and to get answers to key questions including:
- What do elder law attorneys do?
- What is Medicaid planning and what types of elder law issues do you need to address?
- How can a Dallas elder law and Medicaid planning lawyer help me?
What do Elder Law Attorneys Do?
Elder law attorneys help people of all ages to plan for unexpected bumps in the road. Whether you face financial concerns, health issues, or other life challenges, having a plan in place allows you to face up to the challenges head-on and be prepared for anything. Some of the different ways that elder law attorneys can assist you in taking control of your destiny include:
- Creating a Medicaid plan so you can get Medicaid to pay for long-term care or nursing home care in case you can no longer live on your own.
- Creating a healthcare power of attorney and a living will or advanced directive so you name someone to make health choices for you and so you specify in advance what many of those choices will be.
- Naming an agent to act on your behalf to manage assets if you become incapacitated so your family will not need to have you declared a ward and go through guardianship proceedings.
- Creating a last will and testament, trusts, and a comprehensive estate plan so you determine who cares for your minor children, who will inherit, how your heirs will be provided for, and what happens to property and assets.
Elder law attorneys make sure that if you become incapacitated, you still have some degree of autonomy because you have chosen someone you trust to make choices and because you have made your wishes clear in advance of a tragic illness or injury. Elder law attorneys also help you to make important choices on quality of life issues, like when life is not worth prolonging.
Finally, elder law attorneys help you to protect your dignity and leave a legacy behind by ensuring your assets are safe and that you can get the care you need when you can no longer live on your own.
Why is it Important to Address Elder Law Issues & Engage in Medicaid Planning?
The cost of nursing home care can be more than $100,000 a year, depending upon the facility you go to and your medical needs. You need to have a plan in place to pay for this type of expensive care so you never become a burden to your family and so you can live out your life in dignity while leaving a legacy behind.
If you act when you are young, at least five years before you need to go into a nursing home, you can engage in Medicaid planning so Medicaid covers all of your nursing home costs. Even if you wait and get help with Medicaid planning later, you may still be able to preserve some of your assets to leave behind for loved ones.
Medicaid planning and getting long-term care costs covered are just part of the process in controlling what happens to you and your assets even if you become sick or injured and can no longer speak up for yourself. You want to shape your future and be prepared for life’s uncertainties and the field of elder law is all about making sure you have control of your destiny.
How Can a Dallas Elder Law Attorney Help?
Vermillion Law Firm, LLC advises clients of all ages on elder law issues, including incapacity planning, estate planning, and legacy planning. Give us a call at (972) 366-7201 to learn how we can help you.